- Location: Cuba
- Year: 2024 - 2026
- Client: Architects Without Borders
- Size: n/a
- Collaborators: Sociedad Civil Patrimonio, Comunidad y Medio Ambiente (SCPCMA) Officina del Historiador de Desarrollo Integral de Habana Vieja (OHCH)
- Financing: Fundraising in progress
- Project team: Francisca Franchi, Lotte Bech, Javier Corvalán, Ivan Salinas, Kurt Lange
- Contact: Francisca Franchi: firstname.lastname@example.org
Together with two Cuban partner organizations, we are preparing a project that aims to introduce cycling culture in a number of Cuban cities. The project is a follow-up to a successful pilot project in Havana, which, based on the Danish cycling culture, focused on bicycle training in kindergartens and schools to get cycling under the skin of the very young. The goal is to raise awareness of the bicycle as a healthy, inexpensive and environmentally friendly means of transportation and to contribute to the establishment of a true cycling culture in Cuba.
- Contribute to the introduction of cycling in 8 Cuban cities
- Increased urban mobility, independent of fossil fuels
- Improved health in the cities in question, achieved by cycling replacing sedentary modes of transportation
- Improved health through air pollution reduction
The project is now ready to be scaled up in several cities, and we have started the dialogue with local partner organizations in Cuba and are working on fundraising in parallel. Follow us here for regular updates on the project.